Monday, February 4, 2008

Biggest Loss

Poker is the game of luck where everyone comes with only thing in mind that is to raise their wealth as quickly as possible. But at the same time they all are aware that if the luck does not favor them they might have to go home empty handed. I too have suffered many losses during my journey. Here I am telling all Play poker lovers about my biggest loss.

I kept telling myself that I wasn’t going to break. No matter what the gods of fortune spilled on me, I would survive. That’s what I told myself, but the agony grew inside me with every minute that Shirley stayed away. Finally she walked toward me. Richard ambled in the other direction, kind of smug, I thought.

Shirley sat down at the booth across from me. Probably a half hour had passed, but it seemed like a week or a month. My suspicion was that she was going to let me down easy. I mean, I could just feel it, and I thought, well, that’s the way it’s going to be, I’m just not supposed to win anything. There wasn’t any spirit left in me, no fight left, I was sapped. I couldn’t even make my eyes meet hers.

Finally, I said, “Would you like afresh drink?” Still, I didn’t look at her directly.

“No.” That made me think that maybe she was just going to break me the bad news softly and leave.

But the silence between us just went on and on while the band seemed oblivious to my agony. Rock n’ Roll.

Gradually, Shirley began to drum her fingers to the beat.

At last I got the nerve to ask, “Do you want to tell me anything about it?”

She said, sort of remotely, “Richard apologized. He wants me back...” So on and so forth.

You know, she never told me what she’d decided. But pretty soon I got to thinking, Well, hell, Bobby. She’s still Sitting here, and Richard, he’s across the room somewhere. I put it together. I didn’t ask her any more questions. We left the club together.

And when we got home, I said, “You know, I’d like to have Staci move in. She’d be like my own daughter, if

that’s what you want...”

So Staci came to live with us the next day.

No comments: